Visitor Centre Hours
Closed until further notice.
1331 Williams Beach Road
Merville, BC V0R 2M0
P.O. Box 415
Merville, BC V0R 2M0
What you will see and experience
- A visit with an Ambassador Bird [link here to Meet our Ambassador Birds] and bird handler (12 – 2 pm on open days)
- An outside guided tour* of our Ambassador Bird enclosures–meet our resident eagles, hawk, and owls.
- Indoor exhibits featuring raptors, waterfowl, and other native wildlife
- Hands-on areas with nests, feathers, bones, and other animal artifacts.
- Stories of rescue, recovery, rehabilitation, and release of our animal patients
- A sound station where you can test your knowledge of bird calls
- A special children’s area which invites exploration of our animal-rescue themes.
- A wonderful gift shop with books, toys, puzzles, and wildlife-themed local photography and crafts
* Wear sturdy footwear if you would like to visit the outdoor homes of our Ambassador Birds. Trails are being built, but we are still a work in progress, and we appreciate your patience while we “grow” forward.
Our Visitor Center is wheelchair accessible
but our outdoor areas are not yet suitable for people with mobility issues.
UPDATE from MARS Board of Directors:
MARS’ Visitor Centre is now closed in response to the COVID – 19 (Corona Virus) pandemic. We will continue to monitor recommendations from our local health authorities and look forward to reopening to the public when it is safe to do so.
The MARS wildlife hospital remains open; staff and volunteers will be here every day to take care of the animals.
At this time of the year MARS’ volunteers would normally be out in the community raising money for the upcoming “baby” season, e.g. selling raffle tickets, garage sales, special events, etc. to care for fawns, baby birds and baby mammals. Our fundraising activities are now severely limited and we will no longer have revenue from the visitor centre. We understand that this is a difficult time for everyone but any financial support you can spare to maintain our wildlife rescue and rehabilitation program would be very much appreciated.
Please take care of yourselves and stay well.
Learn how we can ALL help wildlife and reduce our impact on wild places
Admission by donation
$5 suggested per person
10 minutes north of Courtenay,
in Merville, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Who should visit
- People of all ages!
- Families with children, youth, parents, and grandparents
- Groups, teams, and school classes by prearrangement—book a visit for your group.
PLEASE NOTE: DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED
Dogs are not allowed on the property, not even on a leash. Their presence causes stress to our birds.
Thank you for your cooperation.