Our goal at MARS Wildlife Visitor Centre is to engage children, youth, and adults in understanding and caring about the fate of wildlife and wild habitats.
Admission by donation
$5 suggested per person
WHEN WE FULLY RE-OPEN:
Our volunteers will guide your group through the indoor displays of the Visitor Centre where you will…
- learn the rescue, recovery, rehabilitation, and release stories of MARS patients, past and present
- discover displays of native eagles, hawks, owls, waterfowl, and mammals
- explore hands-on areas with nests, feathers, bones, and other animal artefacts
- test your knowledge of birds sounds
- understand human impacts on wildlife and the environment
- (for young children) help injured animals in our ‘wildlife hospital’ play area and explore a model of our local watershed
MARS Book-A-Bird Program
Part of the MARS mission is to spread the word about the protection and preservation of wildlife and habitats on northern Vancouver Island so we love it when the public — particularly young people — can experience our majestic eagles, hawks and owls up close and personal!
To get the most of your group visit, please:
- give us three weeks’ notice so we can arrange extra guides and a bird handler for your visit
- let us know the age range or grade and number of children and adults in your group
- remind children not to touch our Ambassador Birds, to keep fingers out of outdoor enclosures, and to speak quietly when looking into the homes of our resident birds
- allow an hour for the tour and let us know if you’ll need extra time for lunch or snacks.
- note that our Centre is fully wheelchair accessible, but that our outdoor enclosures are not yet ready to accommodate people with mobility issues
- wear closed-toed footwear for walking around our outdoor enclosures and clothing suitable for the weather
- leave time to visit our gift shop for books, toys, puzzles, and locally-made crafts and photography
- remember that dogs are not allowed on the property (not even on leash) as they cause stress to recovering and resident wildlife
Thank you for your interest in MARS. We look forward to meeting you!