HERE ARE SOME OF THE WAYS YOU CAN HELP MARS!
How Can You Help?
In general there are lots of ways the public can help us, but because the act of giving is a personal process we’ve tried to come up with a range of gifting options that appeal to different tastes.
- Donate Now: Once or Monthly The process takes less than 5 minutes. MARS particularly appreciates people who choose to donate monthly because it makes it easier for us to budget for wildlife needs over longer periods. We can also take charge card contributions over the phone at 250-337-2021 or you can send or drop off a cheque if that is more convenient.
- Donate stock, mutual funds or securities. You do not have to pay capital gains tax on these investments when they are donated to a charity.
- Sponsor a Building. Build a home for Brinley, our Great Horned Owl, for $6,500. Or build a home for our Hyacinth and Humpty, our two bald eagles, for $35,000…MORE
- Sponsor a Raptor for one month for $150. You will receive a certificate of sponsorship suitable from Framing. Give One as a gift or for yourself.
- Sponsor an Ambassador. This program allows donors to provide food for animals and birds on a monthly basis.
- Leave a Legacy for MARS when they pass away or their loved ones elect to have donations given to us in lieu of flowers.
- Include a charitable gift in your will. A bequest to a charity can bring tax savings for your estate. Contact your financial advisor about ways that you can create a lasting legacy for wildlife.
- Make MARS the beneficiary of your life insurance policy or donate the life insurance policy during your lifetime and receive a charitable tax receipt for the cash surrender value of the policy.
- Name MARS as the beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF. There is no need to change your will when renaming a beneficiary to an insurance policy or RRSP/RRIF.
- Set up a living trust, known as a “charitable remainder trust” of cash assets and receive a charitable receipt for your donation. During your lifetime any interest, income or dividends will be paid to you as taxable income but, upon your death, the assets in the trust go to the charity you have chosen.
- Make a gift of residential property to a charity like MARS and retain the right to use the property during your lifetime or for a specified period.
A Special Mention About the Gift-in-Kind
One method of gifting we often forget to mention, but could not do with out, is the gift-in-kind. Building materials, labour, food for birds and animals, computer hosting, veterinarian expenses, caregiving and office administration are just some of the many areas where the gift of giving need not be cash.
You can learn more about all of these amazing people, companies, corporate sponsors, bequeathers, endowers and gifters-in-kind through their compelling stories in the right-hand margin.
Your Support is Appreciated
Finally we’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has already donated to MARS. We couldn’t have made it this far without you.
MARS began its historic journey with Mary Jane Birch and her love for wildlife, but because of your ongoing generosity and support MARS now belongs to the Comox Valley community.
Thank you for any support you are able to offer MARS. We hope you will Become a Member and join us in our work to help wildlife.
MARS Founder Leaves Legacy
“”MARS founder, Mary Jane (Maj) Birch had a dream of a new wildlife rescue and education centre…”
Eagles Inspire Monthly Donor
“Barbara Swanston’s love of eagles drew her to a Hornby Island Eaglecam and from there to MARS Wildlife Rescue…”
Donor Inspires Others to Give
“Sharron Lewis’ $50,000 donation is helping to build a new wildlife hospital on northern Vancouver Island…”
Houle Generosity Powers MARS
“I’m proud that our company and the guys stepped up to make a difference…”
BP2 Builds Wildlife Hospital
“With this new hospital MARS will be able to continue caring for wildlife. I am glad Brandy and I can help make this happen…”